Expansion Teams?

For any issues that need raised, be they with the engine, the website, or the forum. We're here to help, but keep the whining to a minimum.
Kinto
Forum Rookie

Expansion Teams?

Postby Kinto » December 21st, 2014, 6:25 pm

((This thread is pure speculation and opinion, with no official FBA blessing stated or implied))

I know it's been discussed before in other places, but I thought this might be a nice thread to have.

Either through relocation or expansion, where would you like to see an FBA team? What would they be called?

Some suggestions that I've heard thrown around by others:
- Eastern Canada - I think this is the frontrunner for a lot of people; possibilities include Halifax (perhaps called the Privateers?) or Montreal
- Puerto Rico
- Mexico

Some I would like to see:
- Savannah, Georgia - Personally, I think the Savannah Rain would be a great name for a furry basketball team
- Somewhere in the upper Mississippi River area - Maybe the Quad Cities (depending on which side of the river they're based on, could be eastern or western conference), or Wisconsin (I think Madison would be a good FBA city)
- Pueblo, Colorado, and Provo, Utah - Both of these were suggested as options before (I would root for the Provo Cateurs)

Anonymous13423
Forum Rookie

Re: Expansion Teams?

Postby Anonymous13423 » December 21st, 2014, 9:35 pm

I personally like Cincinnati and San Diego, and I think I've heard Vancouver being brought up as well.

Also, what do you think about the idea of potential expansion teams getting to pick ahead of the already existing teams in the FBA draft? I feel like it would be a way to ease them into the league much smoother, as well as giving the drafted characters more freedom for their stories in the teams (I'm kinda reminded of the UFFL here).

KevinMalka
Forum Veteran

Postby KevinMalka » December 22nd, 2014, 4:29 pm

If there's expansion teams, we NEED an Eastern Canada team. I recall that Stevie has said that is an expansion ever happened, this one is almost guaranteed. Halifax would be nice, or someplace in Quebec. Personally, I'd love to see somewhere in Ontario. Maybe Thunder Bay? Or perhaps Hamilton (they had a semi-pro team before in the FBA universe, so there's an established basketball fanbase)

Wouldn't know where else to suggest.

itsamadworld919
Forum Rookie

Postby itsamadworld919 » December 22nd, 2014, 10:06 pm

As there are a lot of the community members from Eastern Canada, it'd be cool to come together and decide on a couple centric places. A lot of where the teams are based at the moment I think is because of where contributors live IRL.

I'm throwing my nomination towards something in the Midwest USA again. Chicago, anyone? I used to live in Wisconsin. Since Des Moines and Kansas City left, there is nothing between Ohio and Dakota. It's a big, empty, lonely hole in the middle of the US! Just look at the map on the front page! Doesn't it make you want to CRY??? ;)

Pac
Taco Shack Owner

Postby Pac » December 23rd, 2014, 12:39 pm

re: chicago, the FBA generally doesn't put teams where there are currently NBA teams. but i do agree there should be more in the midwest, or at least that strip of states down the eastern part of the western conference which is just a dead zone. nothing between minnesota to louisianan. i actually think getting a team back into a cit that lost one would be great story potential. el paso, st paul, etc.

also, just personal opinion, i'd rather have a team in mexico before another team in canada, being that they already have two. many mexican cities are between hawaii and austin latitude lines so it's not adding all that much more in terms of distance from the majority of current team locations.

Paul Shep
Forum Rookie

Postby Paul Shep » January 5th, 2015, 2:26 pm

The way I see it is that we should add one team to each division and hope we don't have to shuffle the divisions around so much. But at this point, we need an overflow of interest in order to make expansion happen. Supply and demand, that kind of stuff.

Places where I'd like to see a team:

1. Eastern Canada (Quebec, Halifax, Ottawa, Hamilton for ex.)
2. Savannah or Charleston, SC
3. Puerto Rico

Mexico, Nebraska and even Idaho or Jackson, Wyoming sound like pretty good places to me.

MountMcCarthy
Forum Rookie

Postby MountMcCarthy » January 11th, 2015, 2:47 pm

Oh! Neato. So, I'm not sure if this will hold any weight, but if I could put in my two cents?

Eastern Conference: I definitely like the inclusion of another Canadian Team. Montreal, Halifax, and Ottawa would be my suggestions on that front. I think another Canadian team, especially one for the Eastern Conference, would be a good edition to the FBA. On the American side...Savanna, Richmond, and Raleigh jump out at me the most.

Western Conference: One of the ideas that I heard was St. Louis, though I'm also really liking the idea of the "Sedona Red Rocks" or "Sedona Vortex", if it's possible (Could even call it Red Rock Stadium!). Also one thing I'd like to throw in: if another Canadian team were suggested, I think Vancouver would be a neat place for a basketball team.

Some suggestions, but I think some of those would be really neat ideas.
Last edited by MountMcCarthy on January 26th, 2015, 11:57 am, edited 3 times in total.

Arterian
Forum Rookie

Postby Arterian » January 26th, 2015, 10:21 am

Last edited by Arterian on March 4th, 2015, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qovapryi
Forum Rookie

Postby qovapryi » January 26th, 2015, 11:31 am

Got a few suggestions to fill the huge void in the middle of the map.
- Fishers, Indiana
- Lansing, Michigan
- Little Rock, Arkansas
- Saint Paul, Minnesota

KevinMalka
Forum Veteran

Postby KevinMalka » January 28th, 2015, 9:54 pm

I actually mentioned it further up in my first post as a possible city choice, but I'm gonna outline it again here because when it came up in the FBA Chat, I thought up what I think to be a damn good little storyline for the team.

The resurrection of the Hamilton Mariners. To start with, it would be unique among FBA Teams. Like the Green Bay Packers, and so many, many soccer teams, the team would be a community owned team, rather than a corporation or individual owned one. No idea if the FBA has any rules against it (the NFL does, but the Packers are grandfathered in), but I think the concept of a community owned team is neat.

Anyways, with the community owned Hamilton Mariners, the team is resurrected as the Mariners for two reasons: to draw upon the history of the FBA franchise in Hamilton, and to appeal to the old FBA fans who still root for the Mariners (the Mariners wiki page states they still have a decent sized fanbase, who even mocked the Alphas on the 20th anniversary of the sale and move of the Mariners last year). However, after a year or two, the team would change name. The team is community owned, and thus it makes sense for the team's name to be modeled around the community. And Hamilton is NO fishing city. It is both a heavily industrialized city, as well as one well known for supporting the arts, and houses the royal botanical gardens. Not sure what they would switch to, but the new name would be centered around the type of city Hamilton currently is. Still keep the ties to their history in the FBA while also recognizing the city as it is today. Bridge the old fans to the new, and this would be known ahead of time so that fans can know that yes, the Mariners were coming back, but no, they would not stay the Mariners forever, but that they would still be the same team they loved, just updated for how the city has changed in the last 20 years. .

Theodore Rockwell
Forum Rookie

Postby Theodore Rockwell » January 31st, 2015, 9:02 pm

I would definitely like to see some cities like

Sedona, Arizona
Puerto Rico
A City in Oregon (just occurred to me lol)

MrInitialMan
Forum Rookie

Postby MrInitialMan » March 1st, 2015, 5:29 am

KevinMalka wrote:I actually mentioned it further up in my first post as a possible city choice, but I'm gonna outline it again here because when it came up in the FBA Chat, I thought up what I think to be a damn good little storyline for the team.

The resurrection of the Hamilton Mariners. To start with, it would be unique among FBA Teams. Like the Green Bay Packers, and so many, many soccer teams, the team would be a community owned team, rather than a corporation or individual owned one. No idea if the FBA has any rules against it (the NFL does, but the Packers are grandfathered in), but I think the concept of a community owned team is neat.

Anyways, with the community owned Hamilton Mariners, the team is resurrected as the Mariners for two reasons: to draw upon the history of the FBA franchise in Hamilton, and to appeal to the old FBA fans who still root for the Mariners (the Mariners wiki page states they still have a decent sized fanbase, who even mocked the Alphas on the 20th anniversary of the sale and move of the Mariners last year). However, after a year or two, the team would change name. The team is community owned, and thus it makes sense for the team's name to be modeled around the community. And Hamilton is NO fishing city. It is both a heavily industrialized city, as well as one well known for supporting the arts, and houses the royal botanical gardens. Not sure what they would switch to, but the new name would be centered around the type of city Hamilton currently is. Still keep the ties to their history in the FBA while also recognizing the city as it is today. Bridge the old fans to the new, and this would be known ahead of time so that fans can know that yes, the Mariners were coming back, but no, they would not stay the Mariners forever, but that they would still be the same team they loved, just updated for how the city has changed in the last 20 years. .

Heck, the resurrected Mariners could use the livery and logos of the GLBL era--the FBA currently do not own those (they were recreated to avoid legal issues).

KevinMalka
Forum Veteran

Postby KevinMalka » April 13th, 2015, 9:16 pm

MrInitialMan wrote:
KevinMalka wrote:I actually mentioned it further up in my first post as a possible city choice, but I'm gonna outline it again here because when it came up in the FBA Chat, I thought up what I think to be a damn good little storyline for the team.

Heck, the resurrected Mariners could use the livery and logos of the GLBL era--the FBA currently do not own those (they were recreated to avoid legal issues).

The problem becoming if we can end up using the Mariners name at all. Because if the expansion/rearranging of the FBA to make all team assets league owned, if we can't get in contact with who made the Mariners/Alphas, I doubt we could use the Mariners name in a new team at all. But I don't know about any of that, so I leave it to the committee to figure out.

MrInitialMan
Forum Rookie

Postby MrInitialMan » January 17th, 2016, 7:27 pm

MONTHS late to this, but I was the one who wrote he Mariners' history, so I guess I'm the one to talk to?

Return to “Questions/Comments/Suggestions”