Basketball/Sports Documentaries

Not sure what a pick and roll is? Don't know what skill sets work bets for a point guard? Confused on why mustard is such a big deal? This is for you.
Pac
Taco Shack Owner

Basketball/Sports Documentaries

Postby Pac » November 11th, 2014, 1:17 am

((i wasn't 100% on where this topic should have been placed, so i am putting it here. feel free to move it if it fits more readily in a different board.))

i don't know sports. or rather, i DIDN'T know sports coming into the FBA. i really flew by the seat of my pants with my first characters, wondering, even before i submitted them, if this was really the kind of project i could get behind, being that i knew so little about sports and liked them even less. what was i even going to talk about? how interesting IS sports to someone who isn't INTO sports? well, once i started combing through documentaries on netflix, i realized there was a LOT more to them than i thought. i've watched about every basketball, baseball and most general sports docs on netflix and it really gave me a better perspective of so many different facets of various sports or of the industry in general, giving me a better understanding of the aspects that effect my characters.

i think having a running list of good movies/documentaries for others to look up would be pretty helpful. extra points if you can link them from a valid source like youtube.

i'll start off with all the docs i ran across on netflix (though thanks to NF's annoying habit of arbitrarily rotating out titles, some are no longer available for streaming). i've bolded the ones i liked best.

• Without Bias (freshly drafted len bias dies of an overdose the day after he's drafted)
  • Killing Time: Miller vs The Knicks (even michael jorden lost his cool with this trash talker)
  • Guru of Go (a coach's unique playing style yields big wins and an unexpected tragedy)
  • No Crossover: The Trial of Allen Iverson (a career almost ends before it begins after a brawl at a bowling alley is caught on tape)
  • Once Brothers (how civil war ended a friendship between two national teammates)
  • Bad Boys (back when if the pistons couldn't win the game, they were going to win the fight)
  • Requiem For The Big East (the formation of the big east conference)
  • Bernie and Ernie (the tale of two unlikely teammates)
  • Survive and Advance (an improbable college championship run complicated by their coach's fight with cancer)
  • Broke (excellent doc about pro athletes and their money, available to watch on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSOAwNSv8EM)
  • There's No Place Like Home (one man's efforts to purchase the original written rules of basketball. good look at the history of the sport.)
  • Benji (promising chicago athlete murdered in 1984)
  • You Don't Know Bo (this isn't a basketball doc, but an interesting look at an interesting athlete)
  • Free Spirits (a colorful documentary about the american basketball association's spirits of st louis)
  • Playing for the Mob (college students get in over their head when the mafia involved them in point shaving scandal)
  • The Day the Series Stopped (again, not a basketball doc, but how a natural disaster halted an all-bay area world series (sf vs oakland) during the 1989 loma prieta earthquake)
  • The Fab Five (the storied formation and scandal surrounding this michigan team's five star players)
  • Catching Hell (another baseball doc, bout the fan who was accused of stealing away a long awaited victory for the cubs and extending the curse)
  • The Dotted Line (inside the life of a sports agent)
  • Unguarded (probably my favorite one. chris herren's battle with addiction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcmBAgqWnt4)
  • The Marinovich Project (how a father's obsession with creating the perfect athlete gave rise (and fall) to a talented quarterback)
  • The Announcement (the journey to magic johnson's announcement that he tested positive for HIV)
  • Going Big (how a player who out ranked michael jordan in the draft was felled by a string of injuries that ended his career: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1uTIZ_pPKk)
  • Hoop Dreams (the quintessential documentary about the journey to the dream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stCLhlqzWgc)
  • The Other Dream Team (the hardships and triumphs of a country, fresh from reestablishing their independence after the fall of the soviet union, fighting for their place in the 1992 olympic games)
  • Schooled: The Price of College Sports (a great doc about the often unbalanced business of college sports)
  • The Iran Job (the culture shock of an american basketball player accepting a spot on an iranian basketball team)
  • Linsanity (the unexpected story of jeremy lin's career)
  • Ballplayer: Pelotero(another baseball doc, exploring the phenomenon of often corrupt harvesting of baseball players in the dominican republic)

if anyone else has others to list, please reply!

Return to “Real basketball talk”