Guess who's going to Cleveland...

Not sure what a pick and roll is? Don't know what skill sets work bets for a point guard? Confused on why mustard is such a big deal? This is for you.
JWolfman
Forum Veteran

Guess who's going to Cleveland...

Postby JWolfman » July 11th, 2014, 8:33 am

Lebron James is coming back to Cleveland. I remember what I said here earlier, that if he comes back to Cleveland, I'll cut up my fedora hat to pieces, add mustard on it, and eat it.

Well I'm a man of my word, but I'm not going to like it. I hate mustard.
Narkissa Kassius (TAL) - Akako Tsubasa (LOR) - Adam Tevela (QNS) - Yesina Selas (SAS) - Brad Pullman (TXS) - Shanice Alveres (FA) - Xavier Saffiren (WPG) - Greg Saffiren (WPG)

Wendingo
Forum Rookie

Re: Guess who's going to Cleveland...

Postby Wendingo » July 11th, 2014, 8:39 am

Video/Pics or it didn't happen.

Also - This was a wonderfully written piece. So so happy. http://www.si.com/nba/2014/07/11/lebron ... -cavaliers
Player for Dylan Redfield, Jake Turner, GM of the Albany Alphas.

Tazel
Forum Rookie

Postby Tazel » July 11th, 2014, 6:04 pm

I think Brad would approve of this move. :)
Player/Creator of:
Tazel Tawner (Ex-TAL Coach); Travis Buckner (TXS); Francis DeLaroux (WPG); Aurora Goldshine (HWI); Brad Pullman (TAL); Hank Sawyer (TEN); Kelly Sprach (BGR); Gorge Pappamalous (LOR)

Darkwolf
Forum Prospect

Postby Darkwolf » July 11th, 2014, 6:07 pm

I'm very happy for the team and for the city of Cleveland.

Paul Shep
Forum Rookie

Postby Paul Shep » July 11th, 2014, 11:41 pm

The amount of maturing he went through in the span of 4 years is incredible. And hey, you can't unburn your jersey, Cavs fans, but there are always new memories to be made. Enjoy the return of your lost son, Cleveland.

JTigerclaw
Forum Veteran

Postby JTigerclaw » July 12th, 2014, 6:53 am

This makes me sooooo happy you don't even know. It still seems like a dream. I never thought it could happen, but LeBron has shown qualities of character, through this decision, that I greatly respect in any athlete and person.

Loyalty. Humility. Maturity.

He's forgiven the fans of Cleveland and the owner who torched him through feelings of scorn. A big move on his part. I respect his ability to put things in perspective and forgive.

His loyalty for his home town/state are refreshing in a league of greedy players/owners and ring chasers. He's got the rings now. And now he wants to make good on his original promise to bring one to Cleveland.

Redemption. It's such a beautiful story to see him come back to the area that truly matters to him, after leaving them years ago for bigger and better things. It's a feelgood story, like the dog that ran away, went through a crazy adventure, and came running back home at the end, reunited with his owner. I do really believe that if LeBron can bring a ring to Cleveland, JUST ONE, then he will go down as one of the absolute all time greatest. The level of difficulty is so much greater, but it would mean so much more than assembling superteams with stars and taking the easiest route to the title.

Basically, all the things Lebron did in 2010 which made me hate him for a while, he has atoned for them. It seems the trip to Miami was really what he needed. I like his comparison to going off to college to improve yourself before coming home. He learned to perform in crunch time there. He learned to block out distraction. He learned how to be a champion. All of these things will be essential in his quest to build a winning team in Cleveland.

I've always cheered for the Cavs, even after Bron left, but they are one of my favorites now. They represent a hell of an underdog with a single legendary hero at the helm. The Anti-Superfriend approach. And a good example that even the King has to learn to lead before he can get his people to the Promised Land.
Player of:

Mikaylah Marley, Wendy Brown, Vera La Tiérra, Rodger Umaechi, Sarah Lancaster, Ryan Malone, Kasa Yalenchka, Christopher Zwischenberger, Aisha Melbourne (adopted), Chrys Bourgeois (reporter)

Other characters: Not enough space to list em all :P

JWolfman
Forum Veteran

Postby JWolfman » July 12th, 2014, 7:40 am

I admit (and some of you may know this already) that when Lebron James left, it had a bitter taste on my mouth. I didn't care that he went to Miami, as the Cavaliers sacrificed Draft picks (or traded away young talent) during James' time there and brought in past-their-prime players that didn't help the whole team a whole lot. Pretty much the best support player for James at the time would've been Carlos Boozer, but with management being as stupid as they were, they released him into restricted free agency. James must have felt frustrated and he wanted a championship ring. What gave me the bitter taste in my mouth was HOW he left Cleveland for Miami, though ESPN was also at fault for making 'The Decision' to look like a matter of life and death. It reeked of so much arrogance and narcissism that it was such a turn off. While I respected his talent even back then, that doesn't mean I had to like the attitude that went with it.

I was a Cavaliers fan before Lebron James came in, and I continued being one after he left. I rolled my eyes at Gilbert's ridiculous comics-san letter. I shook my head as the team went down so steep a spiral that it really drove home the point that building a team around just one person is very dangerous. The team was so terrible that everytime I heard rumors about Lebron James thinking about coming back, I dismissed it as a pipedream, hence the bet about me eating my hat.

When he decided to come back to Cleveland, he did so in such a subdued manner that it really showed just how much he had changed. The team itself has changed as well, with rising star Kyrie Irving and several high prospects having opportunities to not only support James but also be able to be lifted into superstar status with his help in return. I still don't -love- Lebron James right now... I just don't hate him anymore. :P Honestly, the best way to redeem himself in the hearts of even the most bitter Cavs fans would to bring a championship to the city. A city that hasn't received a professional sports championship in decades.

I'm still going to eat my hat with mustard ( and take pics of it...), as a bet is a bet...
Narkissa Kassius (TAL) - Akako Tsubasa (LOR) - Adam Tevela (QNS) - Yesina Selas (SAS) - Brad Pullman (TXS) - Shanice Alveres (FA) - Xavier Saffiren (WPG) - Greg Saffiren (WPG)

JWolfman
Forum Veteran

Postby JWolfman » August 7th, 2014, 6:56 am

Kevin Love is heading to Cleveland also, via a trade with the Timberwolves.

Kevin Love... Kyrie Irving... Lebron James. This season will be interesting, that much I can say!

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources-- ... 57392.html

JTigerclaw
Forum Veteran

Postby JTigerclaw » August 10th, 2014, 2:48 pm

Now THIS is a "Big 3" I can get behind! I really like Love, Irving AND Lebron.

I'll be cheering for the Cavs this year for sure! There's nobody in the East I would rather win over Cleveland (Hornets are nowhere near ready and the Pacers will have a tough time without George this year).

Other than the Cavs, I'll wish the Rockets, Mavs, Clippers, and Thunder well. ^^ Maybe I'll cheer for the Bucks too (because I have to root for ONE lovable loser at least).
Player of:

Mikaylah Marley, Wendy Brown, Vera La Tiérra, Rodger Umaechi, Sarah Lancaster, Ryan Malone, Kasa Yalenchka, Christopher Zwischenberger, Aisha Melbourne (adopted), Chrys Bourgeois (reporter)

Darkwolf
Forum Prospect

Postby Darkwolf » August 10th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Are you sleeping on my Bulls? Right now who is beating them? Love, LeBron, Irving and who again?

Please don't tell me Mike Miller, James Jones and Dion Waiters. Also, who backs up Vareajo? And who plays any defense on this team? Cleveland will be good, but the Bulls are built like the Spurs. And we saw how they took apart a Miami team that was better than this Cavs team. And I hate big threes. I hate what they represent. I hate that teams try to build this way.

Teams like the Thunder, Spurs, Bulls, Warriors and others that have depth and build through the draft are what I like. Trying to play the part of the New York Yankees in basketball doesn't work and it makes me sick.

I feel for the city of Cleveland. I really do. But I'm a Cubs fan. I don't want to hear about suffering. Haha.

It'll be fun to watch, but if Lebron and Irving were going at it, it'd be easier to like them. Getting Love makes me dislike them again.

JTigerclaw
Forum Veteran

Postby JTigerclaw » August 10th, 2014, 8:17 pm

I'm not sleeping on anybody. I stated the teams I'd RATHER win the East. Cavs, Hornets, Pacers are who I like in the East. Judging by how Rose has been playing at Team USA camp, he is back to his old self. Which makes a team with Rose, Noah, Gasol, Butler and McBuckets, with Thibs on the sideline, the team to beat in the East. Cavs are gonna need some time to put it all together, but they might be able to hang with the Bulls. However, they lack an interior defensive presence. Yet so did the Heat, and that didn't stop them from winning the championship twice.

I don't like teams that buy their championships either, but that's not quite what's happening here. This is more the Lakers strategy (which I also dislike, truthfully) of pulling off crazy trades for stars and then the stars (normally) choosing to stay. It's not the same as a group of stars all in their prime planning to become free agents at the same time so they can join forces. The Spurs and Thunder have the most respectable strategies, but they had to get otherworldly lucky to draft multiple All-Stars. Lebron really doesn't have time to waste, and that's why HE, not the Cavs GM, made the Love trade happen. Yeah I wish he'd be patient and let Wiggins and Bennett and others develop, but he doesn't want to waste his prime waiting for that to happen. He needs to be ahead of the curve NOW.

The Bulls have a Big 3 too, in Rose, Noah and Gasol. They drafted two of them, but they had to buy a third. Before that, they tried with Boozer, who was an All-Star. Obtaining all the stars you can seems to be the way to go these days. And Bulls wanted Melo too, AND made a pitch to Love. But it's easier to stomach when it happens to a team you like. ;)
Player of:

Darkwolf
Forum Prospect

Postby Darkwolf » August 10th, 2014, 9:04 pm

The Bulls were never getting Melo or Love, but they had to look like they tried. Boozer was not the same player in Chicago and was never considered a comparable player to Chris Bosh. Pau Gasol is a role player. The Bulls don't have a big three. If they did, the third would be Taj Gibson before Gasol. Anyone who says Gasol is an All-Star big man is crazy. He's a very good role player.

The Heat also had better defensive players then the Cavs who outside of LeBron have no one. And I think James is an overrated defender to begin with. The Bulls have never had a big three and never will. That's not how the team is built. But they are the best defensive team in the league and one of the deepest now. Everyone will crown the Cavs though and that's fine by me. I love being the underdog.

Pacers are done without George, Hornets took Lance Stephenson which could backfire in their faces and subsequently weakened Indiana more. Washington is the only other real threat in the East besides the Cavs and Bulls. Miami might figure it out and poor Luol Deng is stuck there now.

Return to “Real basketball talk”