The Problem of Trent Westerlyn (Tashira Rucson - FurSports.net)

Reputable sources such as Furballer sit nearby trashy rags such as FMZine. You'll most likely see the digital articles in here.
Forum rules
Make sure to read the Rules of 'Roleplay'

In addition, please preface all topic titles with the magazine that the story is coming from.
JWolfman
Forum Veteran

The Problem of Trent Westerlyn (Tashira Rucson - FurSports.net)

Postby JWolfman » January 1st, 2018, 6:39 pm

On August 11th, 2017, the Baltimore Spirits has officially been sold to a new owner, only the third owner in the Spirits’ 56-year history, named Trent Westerlyn. Many fans were surprised at the sale, but still sighed in relief as Westerlyn was a household name in Baltimore. His holding firm has stock in many of the world’s top corporations, and his father was one of the primary backers that funded the construction of Baltimore’s convention center. He has co-ownership of Westerlyn Arena in Providence, Rhode Island, and the Spirits played a preseason game there.

However there controversy from the start. Westerlyn reportedly bought the Spirits for $928 million, which was lower than the team’s actual value of $1.3 billion. The auction sale occurred behind closed doors, and some of the bidders claimed that they put in bigger bids for the sale only to be snubbed. Soon after the sale was complete, a class-action lawsuit was filed against Trent Westerlyn, stating that the auction was rigged in Westerlyn’s favor and as of this writing, the lawsuit is still ongoing.

While many people in Baltimore accepted the sale and simply wanted to move on, I took it upon myself to study more on Westerlyn’s past and the circumstances surrounding the sale of the Spirits. It just seemed too suspicious for me to just ignore and move on from it, so over the course of the past few weeks, I devoted my entire focus on this new investigation, and what I have found were things that I debated over and over with myself to even publish, as I felt the consequences could even be life-threatening.

Trent Westerlyn’s ties with Baltimore run very deep. His conglomerate holding company, Crowshire Daughterway, have their Headquarters in Baltimore’s downtown, and his family lived in the city for five generations. The Westerlyns were part of Baltimore’s social elite, pillars of the community, but some of their roots are also criminal in nature. Trent Westerlyn’s father, Christopher Westerlyn, ran an illegal alcohol smuggling ring and owned an infamous ‘speakeasy’ club during The Prohibition era of the 1920s and early 1930’s. Nine cases of homicide targeted the Westerlyns as suspects during that time by Baltimore law enforcement, but none of them were convicted in court. They had been suspected of bribing police officers and local along with federal court judges. Christopher taught Trent basically everything he knew.

Like father, like son. Long after the Prohibition ended, the criminal traces continued within the family, and especially with Trent. Instead of dealing with alcohol however, Trent turned to Wall Street, and his rise during the money free-wheeling decade of the 1980s was nothing short of spectacular. He seemed to have a magic touch with company stocks, knowing which company stocks were low enough to buy for profit, and when would be right time to sell stocks before they fall in value. The federal government investigated him for insider-knowledge fraud, but for some reason, Trent got away with everything. His wealth grew and he officially became a billionaire in 1993, surpassing the success that his father and predecessors had ever achieved.

He had been known to be very pushy with business partners, shoving them to sell their company stocks so that he could buy them and gain more control inch by inch. His greediness knew no bounds, and there were even rumors that he would hire thugs to physically pressure other people to bend to his will.

The more I studied about Trent Westerlyn’s past dealings with business, and learning about the dark corners of his family, the more I wondered about the circumstances surrounding the sale of the Baltimore Spirits. It happened quite suddenly, and I was supposedly the spark that triggered the sale when I published an article on the previous owner, Samuel Windance. However, I completely expected the controversy to actually blow over, or at least drag itself along for a long time with court proceedings and police investigations, but the announcement of his intent to sell the team took me by surprise.

Why did Windance decide to sell the team despite the fact there was still little evidence of his wrongdoings surfacing? Why didn’t he just wait out the storm?

Why did the investigation on those allegations on Windance suddenly turn cold?

Why did the sale auction occur under such obscure and closed-door circumstances?

Then there’s the lawsuit. A group of investors claimed that they put in an offer of $1.8 billion, far more than the actual value of the team, in the auction, only to lose to a bid of just $928 million. Westerlyn reportedly attacked the lawsuit, claiming their bid was bogus and he won the auction well within the legal limits of the sale. Other investors joined the lawsuit, claiming they had been unlawfully snubbed in the auction as well, and amid the fine print of the lawsuit details, I noticed a single line that disturbed me…

One of the plaintiffs claimed that she was physically intimidated to withdraw her bid.

I couldn’t believe it when my eyes caught that accusation the first time around, and I wanted to dismiss it. But later on when I learned about Trent Westerlyn’s past, the more I realized that the accusation might have actual merit. Was this bidder intimidated to withdraw? Perhaps so.

Trent Westerlyn needs to be investigated with greater scrutiny by not just the federal government but also by the FBA administration and FBA team owners. This is not a man that should be owner of the Baltimore Spirits, and should be thrown out of the FBA entirely. This man is dangerous, I believe that he bought his way into the FBA in a corrupted way, and the FBA is at risk for letting him walk into their fold.

Trent Westerlyn needs to go.

Return to “On the Newsstand”