Draft Combine RP Feedback Thread

For any issues that need raised, be they with the engine, the website, or the forum. We're here to help, but keep the whining to a minimum.
Stefan Calico
FBA Commissioner

Draft Combine RP Feedback Thread

Postby Stefan Calico » May 28th, 2014, 8:44 am

Now that the week-long RP for the incoming draft class has ended, we'd like to know what you thought! Was it a good idea? Did you have fun? Should there have been more separation of posts and replies and new threads? Any suggestions for next year (or even the next major RP)?

Let's hear your thoughts!
Stefan Calico
FBA Commissioner
2016-2017 Season

Theodore Rockwell
Forum Rookie

Re: Draft Combine RP Feedback Thread

Postby Theodore Rockwell » May 28th, 2014, 8:54 am

I thought it was great, having all the character just interact through a massive RP session. I don't know about the IronFur challenge though. Seems like an extra hurdle for those who are not so skilled in those areas. Kinda having an extra event going on alongside with the combine is pretty hectic at times. In any case I did have fun while doing this. :) And yeah, I won't take everything here seriously but keep in mind that this is all for fun!

KevinMalka
Forum Veteran

Postby KevinMalka » May 28th, 2014, 9:03 am

I have to admit, I only have one post in the RP threads, and that's Kevin's breakdown on Monday, which i had written out as a full story.

I had some issues getting anything else written. I didn't want to just do a little "okay, this is what Kevin did today" post in each thread. And Kevin ended up missing out on a lot of the specific events, like the Canada Vs. USA game and stuff like that, so it often felt wrong to try and get in while many of the posts were about that.

I can also be a bit slower of a writer, i prefer to have things cleaned up a bit, you know?

Overall, I believe that the forums will get their proper use as time progresses.

gideonwebb
Forum Prospect

Postby gideonwebb » May 28th, 2014, 9:05 am

Overall, I liked the idea of the Combine, though I would have had some different events done. For one, I would have had the host team be willing to do special scrimmages with draftees instead of the draftees just getting together all the time. To me the biggest drawback was the Iron Fur. It was a great idea, but it almost messed up storylines on twitter. Love the idea for both events, but the IronFur should be scheduled part of the combine and be used in the decision making process for the Combine Invitational. It would make the decision of the top 24 have more weight.

If you do keep doing this, I do not feel that summer league should be any longer in duration than the combine. There are franchises that wish to do some sort of event that is similar to the combine. I think doing all these things at once may make scheduling confusing. It also may give more weight to to certain events over others, even though they all should have equal weight.

I also would have liked to see some interaction more on rp with gms and the draftees. It would have made it more memorable.

Rebecca
Forum Rookie

Postby Rebecca » May 28th, 2014, 9:49 am

i thought it was a blast, and the fact that it mostly coincided with my vacation so I could keep up with most everything, was even better :D i'm still rather new to the whole basketball thing honestly so it's been fun learning all these terms and stuff, as well as making lots of new friends

lizzimba
Forum Rookie

Postby lizzimba » May 28th, 2014, 2:25 pm

In Universe - I thought it was a great idea, and I thought it gave us a great introduction to the characters, their stories and it really ramps up to the draft.

Out of Universe however I still have concerns that the level of entry is being made too high for new contributors. Its great to reward players who want to open Twitter accounts, write stories, commission artwork, interact with others and contribute to the league, and I can totally understand why you want to do that, but its also okay to enjoy this league in a less commited way - THATS NOT A BAD THING! However, at the moment, I'm pretty dedicated, but I'm finding it hard to keep up with the commitments being thrown at me by the league, and at times, it does feel like I'm going through the motions to keep 'active' - rather then because I have a interesting tale to tell. I don't feel all characters neccesarily have an interesting tale to tell from day one, the league will help to shape them.

I know we are trying to avoid dead weight in the league - but at the moment to submit a character and have a fair shot with them, you need artwork, stories, RPs, twitter accounts and a compelling story...thats a big commitment! Nevermind if you are entering multiple characters each year. I know most will say that these things are optional, but they don't FEEL optional, they feel like an obligation to not be a lesser contributor in the long run.

I wonder if we consider those who are happy to just submit a character and tell a story now and again. I also think characters deserve the chance to develop based on how well they do. I still strongly disagree that a character who is storied, RPed with etc should have a much better shout of being good then someone who doesn't. Again, I know people will want to reward contributors - but in the long run this can only make the league unbalanced, and worst predictable. Why would I draft unknown player from a new contributor who is a bit scared of getting involved, if theres a banker that ahs a contributor who is RPing, writing, drawing etc? They are sadly much more likely to be good. I don't find that realistic personally, there are pro athletes after all who just simply get on with the job in hand.

Anyway, I rambled on a bit there, but if these issues can be raised at the next meeting, I'd be pleased. Maybe I'm completely on my own on this one, in wich case I'll happily let this one go.

KevinMalka
Forum Veteran

Postby KevinMalka » May 28th, 2014, 2:53 pm

I kinda agree with you on at least one point here: the feeling of obligation over certain things, in particular the pictures. Kevin, well, Kevin doesn't currently have a picture. he has one, kinda, on twitter from a crappy sketch I did, but he does not yet have a main, profile-like picture. Mainly, because my art skills are NOT up to par for drawing him, and, well, I haven't have the money to be able to afford a drawing of him from someone. I might have, if it weren't for this summer course that I'm taking which kinda pulled an unexpected sum of money from my pockets.

And even though I KNOW that it's not the case, and that the top 24 were chosen based on the merits of the applications, there's always that lingering thought in the back of the head going "Well, maybe Kevin would have stood a better chance at it if he had had a picture drawn of him to give everyone an idea of what he even looks like". I know it's a stupid thought, but you can't always get the stupid thoughts out of your head.

And then there's your comments about contributors. It does feel that way at times. I entered Kevin this year at the last minute, because I only FOUND OUT about the draft applications at the last minute (literally, right after Pac posted Chapter 19 of FAtBC in which Antonio proposed). And, yet, I feel like I can't contribute much to the league. You have people like Pac, who are amazing at churning out characters, art, and stories. Then there's, say, newer contributors like Ada, who, while new, are already churning out TONS of pictures and stories. But, I'm just honestly not at their level. My art is mediocre at best, and terrible at worst. My writing, which I think is my greatest strength, is only okay, and stories can take me a long time to write out amongst school, looking for a job, and trying to have some free time as well. It's what, Wednesday, and I haven't even gotten past LAST SUNDAY in Kevin's story, let alone the rest of the freaking combine. The only thing I finished was his emotional breakdown story, and only because the thoughts and feelings were fresh in my head and I kinda wanted to get it done on the same day that it was supposed to happen.

But I've actually been worried about that since the beginning. Afraid that I won't be able to contribute enough to the league to be worth being in it. But that's my insecurities kicking in. Just need to keep trying.

EDIT: I apologize if this sounds whiny. I did not intend it to, was just trying to express a few thoughts that were in the back of my head, even though I know the conclusions are untrue.

Paul Shep
Forum Rookie

Postby Paul Shep » May 30th, 2014, 8:58 am

I really liked the idea of having a combine, since we have never done this before. And the amount of roleplay on the forums and Twitter surely made it a buzz in the FBA community. However, some things could've been done differently.

The scrimmages were great, giving the players the right to pick and choose teammates for their teams for 2 on 2 to 5 on 5. I wish the host team would've stepped in a little more, along with some FBA officials, and make some scrimmage teams with random selections, so that players played with fellow draftees they weren't familiar with. It's just an idea though. Other than that, the power of our main social media platform did help set up scrimmages, which was good.

I wish I had contributed to the forum threads a little more, but I didn't seem to have the energy nor ideas to post longer stuff about Wesley and Zuri, but that'll change for next season (I hope). Though I did enjoy all the posts made to the forums. They were all fun reads.

And props to the Totems for organizing the Ironfur challenge!

Return to “Questions/Comments/Suggestions”