2017-18 League Committee Applications

If there's been anything new behind the scenes in the FBA, you'll find it here.
admin
FBA Administrator

2017-18 League Committee Applications

Postby admin » May 22nd, 2017, 1:57 pm

Committee Elections are now live! Applications are closed!
https://goo.gl/forms/T0kYMOLkzReCIXCd2

Unlike previous years, the committee slots are being divided into individual roles to help better organize the FBA. Each of the three community-elected Committee members will have various roles that they are responsible for. There will be two voluntary departments next year which coincide with two of the roles, which will help shape the direction of the FBA’s future.

If you are interested in joining any and all departments, you’re welcome to volunteer for as much or as little as you like. The committee member assigned to the department will come to those volunteers first for help. Similarly, anyone may apply for any committee role (or even all roles) that they wish, with the caveat being that each member can only hold a single committee role per season.

A brief review of the roles and departments is below, along with the type of people we think should consider the role. The committee member does not have to do all that is listed by themselves, but is the point person responsible for those action items. Their departments and other volunteers can and are expected to help out where needed:

Candidates:
Role: Ombudsman/General Volunteer Coordinator
Harlow*: viewtopic.php?f=7&p=3316&sid=cb556426137d47275266f7a1eb139651#p3312
IllaRouge*: viewtopic.php?f=7&p=3316&sid=cb556426137d47275266f7a1eb139651#p3314
Kingsley*: viewtopic.php?f=7&p=3316&sid=cb556426137d47275266f7a1eb139651#p3316
Martineau*: viewtopic.php?f=7&p=3316&sid=cb556426137d47275266f7a1eb139651#p3315
Qovapryi: viewtopic.php?f=7&p=3316&sid=cb556426137d47275266f7a1eb139651#p3311

Role: Event Coordinator
Kingsley: viewtopic.php?f=7&p=3316&sid=cb556426137d47275266f7a1eb139651#p3316
Qovapryi*: viewtopic.php?f=7&p=3316&sid=cb556426137d47275266f7a1eb139651#p3311

Role: Publications and Statistics Coordinator
Martineau: viewtopic.php?f=7&p=3316&sid=cb556426137d47275266f7a1eb139651#p3315
Kingsley: viewtopic.php?f=7&p=3316&sid=cb556426137d47275266f7a1eb139651#p3316
Ratiphex*: viewtopic.php?f=7&p=3316&sid=cb556426137d47275266f7a1eb139651#p3313

* Denotes preferred or only role applied for.

Role: Ombudsman/General Volunteer Coordinator
First point of contact between committee and members
Unsure who to talk to? Ask no more
Will be primary person to talk to regarding a committee issue
Will be the committee member who returns contact after a decision is made.

Recommended skills for this role:
An effective but empathetic communicator
Articulate and comfortable addressing individuals and crowds
Not afraid to deliver decisions which may be sensitive or difficult to address
Readily reachable and available – “present” in the league

Role: Event Coordinator
Department: Fun Department (Yay!)
Let Community know about upcoming events
League-wide events (ASW, Playoffs, Other organized tourneys)
Fun events (Organized game nights – CAH, Armello, Golf with Friends, etc.)
Comfortable writing announcements for wiki/slack/twitter regarding upcoming events
Person to contact when “booking” an event like a tourney or a big story line involving multiple franchises, etc.
Coordinate ASW
Maintain FBA Calendar

Recommended skills for this role/department:
Good organizational skills
Must be able to work with people to coordinate multiple schedules
Willingness and time to run ASW events and coordinate multiple people’s entries
Enjoys brainstorming and organizing new events and activities for large groups in a virtual environment
Good at getting people together in one place

Role: Publications and Statistics Coordinator
Department: Media and PR Department
Maintain Wiki/Website
Including Stat pages, tracking trends, playoffs pages, etc.
Fun events (Organized game nights – CAH, Armello, Golf with Friends, etc.)
Oversee organization and production of FBA-wide Publications in print and media format (The Hoop, FBA Followup, Sports Den, etc.)
Be point of contact for individuals wanting to contribute to or create league-wide publications
Put out calls for quotes or article volunteers if needed
Help with the production of marketing material/public facing properties of the FBA

Recommended skills for this role/department:
Loves tracking stats
Good organizational and web skills
Able to see trends in data and analyze them for less-sports-minded folks
Wants to flex creative muscles
Good at/enjoys talking up the league to strangers

Please submit your bids for each role separately below, and I will post a link to all the applications to the positions on the forum here, which will be updated as more applications come in. You may also email me your application directly and I will post it on the forum on your behalf. The deadline for committee applications is Sunday, June 18, at 11:59 PM PDT. Election ballots will be due by the following Sunday, June 25, at 11:59 PM PDT.

qovapryi
Forum Rookie

Re: 2017-18 League Committee Applications

Postby qovapryi » June 17th, 2017, 10:18 am

Hi there everyone.

So, I had long promised myself I wasn't going to run for Committee this year. Not because I didn't want to, but because I was steadfast in my belief our organization would benefit by some degree of change at the helm - and having the same individuals running it year after year contradicts that statement in some fashion, despite me being extremely proud of the work that I put in together with my fellow Committee members.

However, the current dearth of candidates has kinda forced me to toss my name in yet again, not because I've changed my mind about what I said above, but because I do think we still have got a lot of gas and after spending most of the past season trying to wrestle our website back, get it running again and just figuring what to do once Stevie stepped down from his position as Commissioner I believe this is the perfect time to try to re-build what was, and to me still is, one of the most amazing communities of individuals around the furry fandom.

I am applying for either the Ombudsman or the Event Coordinator position, but would favor the latter given what I know to be my skills within our community. I can point to the 2016 Olympic Games RP as proof of my application skills towards the co-ordination of events.

Thank you for your consideration,

Dave, aka Q.

Harlow
Forum Veteran

Postby Harlow » June 17th, 2017, 10:59 am

Hey guys, Harlow here.

It was a hard self-debate with myself if I wanted to throw my hat back in this ring again, but to be honest, when you care about something so much, it doesn't seem as much work in the end. I've grown and learned since my first year, and I feel I got enough steam to keep helping this group the best that I can. I'm focusing on my studies and taking everything in a more distanced approach but that doesn't mean I won't be there anything surfaces. I can't say much than what I haven't said in my past attempts, so keeping it short and simple: I will dedicate myself to really help this league once again.

I'm setting up for the Ombudsman role, since that was the one role I kind of unofficially took charge of on my former committee run, but let it know that anything needed surfaces, I'd be willing to help my fellow co-members in what they asked.

Thanks for the consideration and the trust, know that I'll try my best on my second run if it's a thing.

Ratiphex
Forum Rookie

Postby Ratiphex » June 18th, 2017, 6:32 am

After showing Rourkie the timeline history of the league I started putting together (to make stories that have a historical bent to them a lot easier), he suggested that I might be a good fit for the Statistics/Wiki role. I told him that I was honored, but I didn't feel like I could devote the time needed, but would be glad to help whoever was selected. After putting some thought into it and seeing little interest, I would like to help in whatever way I can, so my hat is now in the ring.

I'm big on trying to avoid even the appearance of a conflict of interest (which, being honest, was one of the reasons I left the project in 2015). So, in the interest of doing so, if chosen, while I will still play my established characters (Edwin, Ramsay/Blanca, and Jackson K - and honestly, I don't actively 'play' them like I did when I first came in), I will not put any new characters in the draft while I'm serving on the committee, nor would I seek to become the GM of a team.

I have a background in marketing/advertising, as well as data manipulation, so many of the roles of this position would be in my wheelhouse.

If you've read this far, thank you.

IllaRouge
Forum Prospect

Postby IllaRouge » June 18th, 2017, 4:56 pm

Hey folks, Ilana here.

I'd like to try my hand at the committee once more, this time to fill the Ombudsman role. Though I have no problem sharing the workload for any of the newly outlined positions, this sort of job fits me well. I've spent a lot of time in this league advocating contributors and their characters, and this committee-appointed position would help me further those ideals. I believe communication is vital to addressing issues in this league. I've never shied away from talking about important issues with both my fellow contributors and committee members in the past, and I'd like to see folks feel comfortable approaching this governing body.

As a teacher, I often run interference between students and serve as a point of contact for all of my classes. I foster a community of openness and respect. Many times, I've orchestrated group assignments, and often I need to be the go-between for my students. Each semester, no matter what writing class I'm teaching, I always have an assignment where my students come and meet with me one-on-one, so I've had to get good at talking to people.

As it pertains to the FBA, I've got a lot of experience coordinating, organizing, and participating in group stories. I've advocated collaboration from the very start of my involvement with the league, so I've had to develop my communication skills when it comes to creativity.

If elected for this position, I offer an open-door policy. There is no issue too small to slide beneath my consideration; there is no issue too big that it can't be resolved peacefully and with compromise on both sides. Everyone has a right to be listened to and have their voice and concerns heard, and I'll fight for your inclusion in the workings of this league. We're all on this crazy ship together, so let's work together.

MartineauQC
Forum Rookie

Postby MartineauQC » June 18th, 2017, 6:06 pm

Hey Martineau Here,

I will make this brief. Ever since I came here, I owe a lot to this league in order of helping me finding a creative outlet and to have fun while contributing, and met a lot of people I consider my friends now. Now the las years hasn't been easy, I won't lie. But deep in my heart I feel like we still have a great group and the FBA remains a great project we can move forward to a positive future.

I would like to throw my hand at the Ombudsman and wiki/Stats person role. As you may have seen all too recently I been taking great care and commitment in helping filling important spots in our wiki's during the series and I also been active helping getting the UFFL going as a Player development and Proceedings commissioner role. I don't have much of skills compare to some of my others friends, but I got the patience and the pleasure writing and checking stats to make the experience as complete as possible.

Also, I have always known to be around and the kind of person you know you can talk with if there an issue. I always try to find and middle ground and find a way to settle things so both parties are resolved. I can be a good reliable voice for everyone and mostly for the good running of the FBA.

That's all I got really. I just want to do my part and make sure we keep having fun. Cause that been the FBA goal and I know we can do it.

So vote puppeh! :3c

KevinMalka
Forum Veteran

Postby KevinMalka » June 18th, 2017, 9:13 pm

Hey everybody, Kingsley here. This year has been, well, it's been a year, both inside and outside the league. Outside the league, things have been tumultuous. I went from being unemployed to being employed in a not so great job with a horrible boss that has stressed me greatly. Inside the league, well, we've definitely had a lot on our plates, with Stevie and the catchup and many other situations.

Even so, I still wish to serve the community as best I can on the committee. This past year has been a rocky road, and while I may not have been as present in the main chat as I have been in the past, I have always been here. My Slack tab has never closed. And in discussions among the committee, I like to think that I have played a good part, offering up my ideas and perspectives when I could.

With the change in the committee formation this year, I do not know what position to apply for, so I am going to outline my applications for all three below. While I do hope that you all will choose to place me back into one of the new positions, I hope that you do so because you truly believe I am the best person for the job. Because we need our best people in the rolls that fit them, especially in the trying times that our league is going through.

Ombudsman

I like to think that I am approachable, that I am easy to talk to, and that I am levelheaded, and hopefully as free from bias as I can make myself. We all have our biases, I know I certainly have many. But when it has come to voting on committee related discussions, I think I have been able to keep myself as neutral as possible. Among the current members of the league, there are certainly those that know that if ever you need an ear lent, I will be there to lend it, even if it means pausing what I am doing to do so.

It is through this community that I have made many of my closest friends, some that are still with us today, and some of which have left for their own reasons. And while I lend my ear for my friends, I do so for any who may need my help. Whether that is somebody who just needs to get something off their chest, or whether a comment, complaint, or concern needs to be raised. I truly believe that if something needs to be said, it can be said to me without judgement. And, the other way, I do believe that, if necessary, I can pass on statements or rulings by the committee that may be hard to hear.

Event Coordinator

I will admit that of my three applications, this is my weakest, at least when it comes to the organising of fun events such as game nights, the non-FBA direct stuff. I say that because, well, I know I can be a bit hard to get into games like that, because I have to be in the right mood and place to jump into a multiplayer game.

However, in regards to the rest of the job requirements, I believe I can handle them splendidly. While I can be a bit of a mess, and scatterbrained at times, it is an organized chaos. I ENJOY planning events. Figuring out when works best for the people involved and working out what will help the event succeed. I believe I could handle running All-Star Week, keep things running smoothly, and be a go-to person for organising events in general.

Publications and Statistics Coordinator

I will admit, I have a vested interest in this position, or at least part of it. The publications part. I freely admit that stats, and the updating of the wiki are not my strong suits. However, as Rourkie said, a committee member does not have to run their position alone. I know where my weaknesses lie, even if they have improved over the past three years. I would know when to delegate, when to get people to assist me in the tracking of stats and updating of the wiki.

My most vested interest, as stated previously, is in the publications section of the role. During my first and second year here, I worked with Mad and others on The Hoop, even putting together a special issue we released at ANE last year. As you may have noticed, we only had one issue this year. Mad ha to step away to handle real life and the UFFL. I was not prepared for how much effort it was and learned over several months that I could not do it on my own, not as it was. I know better now. Whether you elect me for this role or not, I promise, The Hoop will return next year, and I will know when to seek the help of others to get it done.

I have learned how important it is to seek out others to help on any project, and want to put those lessons to good use. I want to see a resurgence of multi-media projects, of podcasts and voice work and magazines like the hoop. I wan to help get this all done.

Return to “League News/Updates”