Fallout From Ohio (Blake Toivonen/Wendy Brown)

Coaches need a place to express themselves too. So do the agents for the players. And you can bet the media pops in from time to time.
Forum rules
Make sure to read the Rules of 'Roleplay'
JTigerclaw
Forum Veteran

Fallout From Ohio (Blake Toivonen/Wendy Brown)

Postby JTigerclaw » September 3rd, 2014, 8:04 pm

[DISCLAIMER: CONTAINS WENDY BROWN AKA PROFANE LANGUAGE]

"What the hell could he want then?"

Wendy couldn't figure it out. She already apologized to Blake Toivonen and Brad Pullman about the incident in Ohio. And it wasn't just a short, empty apology either. The saber had actually, sincerely felt bad for showing up at Brad Pullman's home unannounced and unintentionally ruining his family's BBQ. Of course that atomic burger she snatched from the eagle almost ruined her tongue, but still, she knew it was her fault that it all happened. Wendy had offered to pay for damages to the eagle's kitchen, which she tore apart frantically as she searched for milk to guzzle to sooth her volcanic face. Scaring the loved ones of Brad and Blake into a cellar was also not in her plans.

Yes, there was no way to shift the blame on this one. It was her fault.

But then why did Blake seem to really want to talk to her about something, enough so that he arranged to have a video chat tonight? The Mayors' GM, Geraldo Vanerra had spoken to Blake not long before, so whatever this was, it couldn't be good for Wendy. She knew some sort of punishment was coming. There was always punishment for the messes she found herself in. Fines. Suspensions. Maybe extra community service. And considering this epic catastrophe almost involved the authorities, she was expecting something harsh.

But Blake mentioned nothing about that over Twitter. In fact, when Wendy brought it up, Blake had assured her the conversation he wanted to have with her would have nothing to do with that.

Then what? He likely resents her and hates her guts for what she did, and that was fine. But what the fuck could he want to say to her now?

The saber emerged from the kitchen with a small glass filled with ice and Jameson whiskey. Since this was a video chat, she threw on a wife-beater (no bra) to meet the minimum demands for courtesy. Pants were still unnecessary, since she didn't plan on standing up during the meeting.

Wendy shuffled into the office and set the glass down on the table, out of sight from her webcam. Then she plopped down in the chair. She couldn't help feel anxious as she stared at her screen blankly. Oh boy, another talk to tell her how bad she is and how disappointed they are and how this will fuck up the start of her first full season with the Mayors. Whatever it was, it wasn't gonna be good news, she was pretty sure of that. Of course the reindeer wouldn't mention that stuff over Twitter. He didn't have any authority over her and therefore had to get her to commit to a video chat willingly. Mr. Vanerra, on the other hand...

Wendy took a sip from her whiskey, which made her whiskers twitch. Then she sighed.

"Fuck it. Let's get this shit over with."

Wendy booted up Skype. *BOOP BOOP*

It had been a while since she had. There were 46 follower requests from random FBA players, rookies, agents... oh look, FMZ. Yeah fuckin' right. Decline.

Sure enough, there was the request Blake had sent her a little while ago. OldMightyFinn. Yup, that was him alright. On the other end, the reindeer was waiting back at home in Minnesota, wearing a polo shirt and track pants and sipping a glass of water. We waited patiently for his contact request to go through. After a few seconds, the request was accepted.

Blake nodded as he adjusted his earphones and microphone and proceeded to call her. It took 10 second or so for the call to go through. While the two were waiting for each other's video feeds to load, Blake began to speak. "Good evening, Ms. Brown."

Wendy waited impatiently, apprehensively, for the video feed to come through, which it finally did. She kept a neutral face, as much as possible, though some of her confusion and suspicion was probably evident in her expression to a keen observer. When Blake greeted her, Wendy responded with an upward head nod in acknowledgement, followed by, “Whussup?”

Blake adjusted his seating a bit, then proceeded. "Thank you for accepting the invitation on such short notice. I wish I could've done this a bit sooner, but you know, I was at the draft in Vegas. But now we can discuss something that has been on my mind for a while." he nodded as he looked to Wendy's video feed contently.

Wendy kept the poker face, searching for any indication in Blake’s tone or expression that she was in trouble. She was unable to find anything, for the time being, but she still couldn’t figure out why this late night video call was so damn important. She’d play it cool for now. “No problem. I hear that was kind of a big deal.” she deadpanned. “Sooo… what’s on your mind?”

Blake nodded, as he could hint that Wendy wasn't particularly in the mood to talk business at this hour, but the reindeer felt like he needed to make this feel a little more casual. "Listen, Wendy, I have followed you on occasion last season, and you are a great player. But as you know already, some of your antics aren't what they should be for a professional, but I think after last week, you... know that yourself, hmm?"

Wendy closed her eyes and sighed, raising her left paw to the side of her muzzle as she shook her head gently. She knew this was coming. “Yeah, I know I was out of line last week. I said I’m sorry, ok?” Wendy replied, her tone more frustrated than angry. “I didn’t mean for all that shit to happen. I just wanted to pop up for a laugh, eat some steaks or whatever, and go home. I didn’t know I’d be… eating molten fuckin’ lava. Plus I was stressed out from before.” Wendy sighed again, looking away from the screen, then back at Blake. Her ears dropped back and her glance softened a bit, showing at least some sincerity in her regret. “Look, I’ll pay for damages. I sent Brad a package of steaks to say sorry. I can send you some too if you want. I just… I’m sorry. I apologize for fucking up. So… yeah.”

Blake sighed. "It's not that, Wendy... if I may call you that." he takes a drink of water from his glass then continues. "You have done your part on that, but like I said on Twitter, I want to talk about something else with you." he nodded. "Do you have someone representing you in the FBA business-wise?"

Wendy’s ear twitched and her nose wrinkled, a slowly festering look of confusion forming on her face as she leaned back from the screen. “Uhh… you mean like an agent?” Wendy paused, trying to gauge whether or not he was serious. “No. I haven’t had one since the Montana… incident." She huffed and sneered slightly as the memories resurfaced.

"I see." Blake nodded as he shifted in his seat. "I'm going to be clear with you, Wendy. I know you are talented and you need a little bit of guidance. And since my clients now have good jobs in the FBA, I'm looking for a new challenge for the season," he said, grinning.

A new challenge? At that point, the light bulb went off in the saber’s head, though the confusion only escalated. “Wait… hold up. Lemme get this straight.” Wendy said, tilting her head as she pieced together what was happening. “I ruined your BBQ, scared you and your families into a bunker… and now you wanna represent me? Seriously?”

"Look, Wendy, I gave it a long and hard thought, and it always came back to me as a good idea." He chuckled lightly as he looked to Wendy on his screen. "I'm not kidding you right now."

Wendy stared at the screen dumbfounded for a couple of seconds, scratching the back of her head. Could he seriously be thinking about taking this on? After all the outrageous shit she’s done, the profanity, the snarling and countless blow-ups, does he really want to try to tame the untamable? Then her eyes narrowed. “What’s the catch? Is Vanarra in on this?”

Blake shook his head, chuckling. "No no, Mr. Vanarra didn't suggest this to me. Like I said, I thought about it long and hard. I want to take you on as my new client." he smiles reassuringly towards the sabre. "What do you say?"

Wendy couldn’t help but be suspicious. It was in her nature. She had learned not to trust people, with few exceptions. She also knew that if it seemed too good to be true, it usually was. She was also a lot smarter than her appearance and actions led to believe. “Ok, so hold up… you want to be my agent…” she started, putting her fingers together and leaning into the screen. “Exactly what comes along with that? You gonna make me wash my mouth out, sit up straight and play nicey-nice? Cause I ain’t interested in changing who I am to appease the damn PR police.”

"Listen, Wendy, I'm not here to make you the nicest lady in the FBA, I know I can't do that to you. But here's a fact. You can't risk things like last week anymore, or your career will come to a halt and for someone like you, it would be devastating." he keeps his composure. "And I don't want to let that happen to you."

"But WHY?" Wendy's voice rose to emphasize that word, the most prevalent question in the front of her mind. "Why do you care what happens to me? After the shit I put you through? Instead of hollerin' for punishment, you wanna WORK with me?" Wendy's paws were animated along with her voice, which portrayed no indignation, only an honest puzzlement. "I don't get it. I'm a headache, dude. A royal fuckin' pain in the ass. I'm more than a 'challenge'. I'm a fuckin' nightmare. A bunch of people tried tamin' this and couldn't do it. Even the Howlers' GM admitted he bit off more than he could chew." Her arms fell to the side, and her head hung, shaking a bit before looking back at Blake. "Why even bother?"

"Because unlike your last agent, I BELIEVE in you." Blake huffed, looking over to a distraught Wendy, but he kept his cool as best as he could and continued. "Can I be honest with you? I wasn't behaving my best either at the barbeque. I should have been a better person. After I saw how you realized that you did something wrong, that is the point where it made a click in my head and all I could think of was... she needs help. Mine or anyone else's. And this is why I want to help you. I want you to become even better than you are now." Blake took a deep breath.

Wendy’s fur bristled slightly and her right ear twitched as she listened on. She needs help? The indestructible Wendy Brown needs help? Pshh... yeah right.

Except... he was right. It killed her to admit it, but after all the clashes and controversies she's been a part of since joining the FBA, she was rather lucky to still be on a team. She had all the talent in the world but what good was talent when everyone feared the image? Everyone is so goddamned concerned with image nowadays. One more fuck-up, and she could be done.

Crossing her arms, Wendy sighed again and turned her head away from the camera in silence. Wendy did not want to compromise her image, and she sure as fuck wasn't one to conform. But she couldn't risk being cast out again. This was likely her last chance.

No, Wendy didn't want the help. She needed it. And there it was, right in front of her.

Blake watched on as the saber sat silently, appearing deep in thought. "Anyways, my services are open to you, Wendy, and it'd make me happy to have you as one of my own. Of course I'll let you sleep on it. You don't have to decide anything tonight. I still have plenty of things to take care of while I wait. You think that's fair?" the reindeer nodded reassuringly.

The saber’s lips pursed, almost in a pout, as the reindeer made his spiel. She continued looking firmly off to the side, but as she listened and thought, her ears drooped down and her stony exterior faded. It had to be done.

“No,” she finally said, in a voice lacking defiance. “No… I don’t need to sleep on it,” she said as she turned to face him again. “I can’t let something like that happen again… but shit like this is gonna keep on happenin’ until I can figure out how to stop it. And… I ain't got too many chances left.” She leaned back in her chair, idly rubbing her saber tooth with her thumb and finger. One more big, deep breath...

“…I’ll do it.”

With a wide smile, Blake nodded in approval and leaned forward to write something down. "Excellent, Ms. Brown. I wasn't expecting such a quick response from you. That makes me really happy." he looks over to Wendy once more. "That's all I wanted to talk about tonight, and I'm happy with how it all went. I look forward to this."

*Wendy gave a sort of half-hearted grin, then reached immediately for her strong drink. “Ditto,” she said with a hint of unintended sarcasm. Then she took a giant swig from her glass, wiping her muzzle afterwards. “I just better not regret this decision.”

"I'll make sure you won't, Wendy. I have every intent to make this work." Blake nods reassuringly towards the camera, as he finishes his glass of water, the thought of going to bed starting to sound pretty good.

“Good to know,” the saber said with a light smirk. “Just… do me a favor. Be patient with me, ok? There’s only so much I’m willin’ to compromise," she said, the thought of compromising her bad-ass image adding a strange feeling to her gut. Or maybe that was the whiskey. "But we’ll figure it out. Anyway, I gotta go to bed dude. Training at 6,” Wendy said as she gave a long stretch while leaning back in her chair, dangerously close to giving away her pantslessness.

"Patience is one of the most important lessons I have learned in my life." Blake said, nodding politely. "Of course. I shall go sleep too. I have to take Erik to college."

“Sounds good. ‘Night.”

"Good night, Wendy."

And with a prompt paw wave, Wendy ended the call, sighing deeply afterwards. She really hoped she wouldn't regret this. But something had to give, or she'd be through. Maybe if she thought of it as another challenge. After all, Wendy Brown never backed down from a challenge.

"Fuck..." she muttered under her breath, and she downed the last of her drink. This would take some time to sink in. Wendy had an agent again, for better or worse.

Blake put his headset aside as the call ended. He knew that this would not a piece of cake, especially with a hot-tempered fur like Wendy Brown. But he knew she was talented, and she had the drive to be one of the best in the league with his guidance. As tough as this was likely to be, it was a nice challenge for him. But he was confident he could get through to her. He just had to connect to her, as a friend rather than a manager. Believe in the cause. Believe in her. His patience would certainly be tested, possibly more so than ever before. But he felt that in the end, if he could guide her to greater heights and help her reach her true potential as a player- and as a person- it would be worth it.
Player of:

Mikaylah Marley, Wendy Brown, Vera La Tiérra, Rodger Umaechi, Sarah Lancaster, Ryan Malone, Kasa Yalenchka, Christopher Zwischenberger, Aisha Melbourne (adopted), Chrys Bourgeois (reporter)

Other characters: Not enough space to list em all :P

gideonwebb
Forum Prospect

Re: Fallout From Ohio (Blake Toivonen/Wendy Brown)

Postby gideonwebb » September 3rd, 2014, 8:23 pm

Very well done. I like these kind of stories. They're so redemptive while being realistic about how people really act. Good job!

JTigerclaw
Forum Veteran

Postby JTigerclaw » September 3rd, 2014, 10:41 pm

gideonwebb wrote:Very well done. I like these kind of stories. They're so redemptive while being realistic about how people really act. Good job!

Thank you very much! ^^
Player of:

Mikaylah Marley, Wendy Brown, Vera La Tiérra, Rodger Umaechi, Sarah Lancaster, Ryan Malone, Kasa Yalenchka, Christopher Zwischenberger, Aisha Melbourne (adopted), Chrys Bourgeois (reporter)

Tazel
Forum Rookie

Postby Tazel » September 4th, 2014, 4:59 am

Well done! I guess there will have to be more BBQs. :D

T6
Player/Creator of:
Tazel Tawner (Ex-TAL Coach); Travis Buckner (TXS); Francis DeLaroux (WPG); Aurora Goldshine (HWI); Brad Pullman (TAL); Hank Sawyer (TEN); Kelly Sprach (BGR); Gorge Pappamalous (LOR)

JTigerclaw
Forum Veteran

Postby JTigerclaw » September 4th, 2014, 8:31 am

Tazel wrote:Well done! I guess there will have to be more BBQs. :D

T6

MORE BBQS! MORE STEAKS! (just not the face-melting kind) ^^
Player of:

Return to “Business Affairs”