Saga Ström: Personal notes at the Combine

Plenty of players never got their chance to play on one of the main FBA teams, and here they mingle with unsigned veterans hoping to get called back to play.
Forum rules
Make sure to read the Rules of 'Roleplay'
Nasuella
Forum Rookie

Saga Ström: Personal notes at the Combine

Postby Nasuella » August 6th, 2015, 8:57 pm

(Player note: Twitter continues to thwart my attempts to make a Twitter account for Saga, so I decided to write these instead. As usual these will be kept in my laconic style, though Saga's notes are written in a rather clipped and hurried style.

Quick intro for the unaware: Saga Ström is a Swedish howler monkey (don't ask) and one of the draft pool. She's got a slightly chequered history and as such isn't an easy one to be around. More details will come in time, but what matters for now she's a borderline ice queen... and a near-obsessive perfectionist.

Anyway, enough babbling.)

--

6 August, 2015

Finally in Spokane. Rather poetic that Axe's brother Otto used to play here. Last on the old team before it became the Summit. Old "friends" may still be here, so must stay alert.

Currently making preparations for the combine. Good opportunity to work on everything I need to stay competitive. Fundamentals today; offensive plays tomorrow; defense the day after. Study game footage every evening. Must recheck Vegas footage.

Reminders:
* Study game footage. Minimum 50 pages of notes per game.
* Revise tactics vs. brute-force players (e.g. Bengtzing Jr.) Outsmarting them is clearly not enough. Must improve pain tolerance as well.
* Revise tactics vs. flyers. Both large and small birds this draft; maybe shoot under one-flaps? Ask Otto for advice, if he has time.
* Continue working on recognising fakes. Must learn to better mask my own fakes as well. (Thought: X no. of fakes could be good frustration move. What is X then?)
* No caffeine during combine. Will only aggravate stress. MUST stay calm and focused! Especially with aggro players, interviewers and "history of violence".
* Ask around about agents. For masters in marketing, Axe sucks at it. He would be biased anyway. Hard for a man in love to be completely objective.
* Will allow self time for one film during combine.

Nasuella
Forum Rookie

Re: Saga Ström: Personal notes at the Combine

Postby Nasuella » August 8th, 2015, 9:42 pm

(Player notes: So, that whole thing about not being able to get Saga a Twitter account? Turns out I was wrong.

I'll still keep this up for Combine stuff, since these are private notes and unlike some players, Saga's not going to blurt out every secret she has in public. I don't think she'd even talk about her playstyle on Tweeter, in case anyone decides to use what she shares against her. Paranoid? Maybe, but she'd call it "sensible".

Also, this clipped style of writing has apparently become her standard. It wasn't the original idea but it suits the character surprisingly well, so I'm keeping it.)

--

8 August, 2015

Results of fundamentals refreshers: adequate. Need to improve footwork and tail coordination. Finally figured out how to do 3-limb dribbling, but don't have enough time to work it up to viable vs. others. Will polish anyway.

Results of offensive refreshers: layups adequate; tail-layups surprisingly satisfying, if not practical for me. Dunks unsatisfactory. Mid-range and jumpshots adequate. Slightly worse at 3 pointers since last time; must fix that. Overall: lack of adequate practice time has hurt ability. Must fix this before combine starts.

Results of defensive refreshers: rebounds adequate. Blocks still only effective vs. players my size and smaller. (Thought: ways to block larger players?) No improvement with steals; may be a problem. Can still take a hit. Overall: no improvement.

What went wrong?: most likely court differences; Otto and Axe warned that American courts were different enough to confuse muscle memory. Slight improvement once mental adjustments made, but slight is not enough. Also local players, while helpful, are not pro calibre. May need to ask if any other draftees live close by.

To do:
Practice everything! Work on offense in particular.
Look for possible agents.
Secure interviews with GMs at Combine. Have already asked several; will need to ask more.
Buy something for Axe as thank-you gift.

Return to “Free Agency”