Players Throughout FBA History!

Not everything about the FBA Universe has been documented yet on WikiFBA. And even if it is, this is the place to hold discussions about the world that these furries exist in.
JTigerclaw
Forum Veteran

Players Throughout FBA History!

Postby JTigerclaw » November 23rd, 2014, 11:06 pm

Ok, so I've been tasked with trying to fill in a bit of FBA history here. We know so little about the FBA before the project started, specifically all those awesome players that came before, in the 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's.

Now I COULD come up with every single historical player... but where's the fun in that? And besides, wouldn't some of the newcomers like to claim a piece of FBA history? ;)

So what I need is for you guys to create some players. I don't need much other than names, position, species, height, weight, birthplace. If you'd like, you can add things like draft year, what team do you PREFER them having played for (may be changed to make it work), were they an All-Star (not everyone can be, but we have plenty of room right now!), maybe what their specialty on the court was or if you think they may have won any awards, and a bit of backstory if you've got some... Just get creative, and I'll try my best to make everything fit within reason!

For reference as to what teams existed when, here's a sheet (look under "timeline"). Who knows, maybe your player may be picked as a historical FBA MVP! ;D

Keep in mind, the early days did not see much for diversity. It wasn't until around the 80's when more prey species and a few female players started popping up. Before then it was mostly a male-predator-dominated league.

Alright, let's see where this goes! ^^
Player of:

Mikaylah Marley, Wendy Brown, Vera La Tiérra, Rodger Umaechi, Sarah Lancaster, Ryan Malone, Kasa Yalenchka, Christopher Zwischenberger, Aisha Melbourne (adopted), Chrys Bourgeois (reporter)

Other characters: Not enough space to list em all :P

Ratiphex
Forum Rookie

Re: Players Throughout FBA History!

Postby Ratiphex » November 24th, 2014, 6:24 am

The two characters I have from FBA History:

Paul Griega, Drafted 1979 by Tucson, retired 1984 after an off-the-court injury.
Canada Goose, SF, 6'3", 220lbs. Born Toronto, ON

Lorcan Donegan, Drafted 1977 by Lorain, traded to Tucson in 1981, retired end of 1988 season.
Irish Draught Horse, C, 7'3", 316lbs. Born Boothbay Harbor, ME

One of my stories has last names of other players on Tucson circa 1983. Only one got a full name and species: Vince Cerone, Black Footed Ferret - Drafted 1983, died 1983 (suicide)

JWolfman
Forum Veteran

Postby JWolfman » November 24th, 2014, 7:51 am

There's one character back in the 1970's that I created some time ago, and happens to be Narkissa Kassius' father. He was rather well into his life age-wise when his daughter was born, I know...

William Kassius
Ringtail Lemur (Guard)
Drafted 3rd in the 1973 FBA Draft by the St. Paul Mayors (this can be changed if it doesn't fit)
Considered a draft bust, and retired after his rookie contract expired (he refused an extension and no other team picked him up)
Narkissa Kassius (TAL) - Akako Tsubasa (LOR) - Adam Tevela (QNS) - Yesina Selas (SAS) - Brad Pullman (TXS) - Shanice Alveres (FA) - Xavier Saffiren (WPG) - Greg Saffiren (WPG)

Harlow
Forum Veteran

Postby Harlow » November 24th, 2014, 8:45 am

Heh, funny. I did want to play with the past more with my next draftee. Since Julian was so new and out-there, I wanted to use the existing elements and play with more familiar stuff on the next one. Past FBA, EFBL, you name it.

Nothing definite but here is the first draft of said candidate's father:
Ferdinand Bengtzing
6' 6 1/2" (2.00 meters)
197 lbs.
Marbled Polecat. Forward (SF/PF)
Born in Stockholm, Sweden. Swedish-Turkish. Today's circa 48 years old and settled in NYC.

Having a 4 or 5-year satisfactory career in the EFBL (Belgrade drafted, moved to Stockholm for the remainder of this career), I did plan to have him drafted by the Taproots circa 1994, having a turbulent rookie year and a bad fight with another teammate (Jefferson McIntyre, Bloodhound, Swingfur (G/F). Playing with a canine-mustelid tension) until he was traded to the Pride at the end of that rookie contract, imporving vastly (Maybe a Most Improved Award somewhere. Didn't want to make him a bigger star by accident.) and obtaining the 2001 Title, for him to that year to retire. He would be a matter of pride for the Pride (lol) and a must-see for Forwards.
Last edited by Harlow on November 24th, 2014, 10:21 am, edited 4 times in total.

BetsieT
Forum Rookie

Postby BetsieT » November 24th, 2014, 9:30 am

I have one character for sure:

Fulton "The Terror" Trudu
Position: Swingfur (usually played as a guard)
Species: Utahraptor
Height: 6'9"
Weight: 190lbs
Drafted to the Tucson Demons in 1969 at the age of 20; he became the first dinosaurid in the league.
His rookie season ended up being a write-off due to an off-court speciesist attack.
Was resigned to the Tuscon Demons for four seasons when his rookie contract expired.
Accepted a three-year contract with the St Paul Mayors, played as a small forward, never gelled with the team.
Demons sought him out once more and he accepted, playing with them until he retired in 1986 after 15 years in the league.
Won five championships with the Demons, was an underdog that became an All-Star.
Player of: Barnaby Jazz - Wilmer Grehr - Ahti Nereus - Treshaun Carnell

JTigerclaw
Forum Veteran

Postby JTigerclaw » November 24th, 2014, 10:26 am

BetsieT wrote:I have one character for sure:

Fulton "The Terror" Trudu
Position: Swingfur (usually played as a guard)
Species: Utahraptor
Height: 6'9"
Weight: 190lbs
Drafted to the Tucson Demons in 1969 at the age of 20; he became the first dinosaurid in the league.
His rookie season ended up being a write-off due to an off-court speciesist attack.
Was resigned to the Tuscon Demons for four seasons when his rookie contract expired.
Accepted a three-year contract with the St Paul Mayors, played as a small forward, never gelled with the team.
Demons sought him out once more and he accepted, playing with them until he retired in 1986 after 15 years in the league.
Won five championships with the Demons, was an underdog that became an All-Star.

Just to clarify, Trudu played with Tuscon from 1969-1975, signed with St. Paul in the 1975 offseason right after winning back-to-back championships in 74, 75, came back in 79 and won with Tuscon in 80 and 86, then retired after the last championship, totaling four (not five) championships. Does that sound right?

Was he a star caliber player? Was he the leader of any of those championship teams, or a very strong role player? Would he have had a stretch of All-Star appearances at some point?
Player of:

Mikaylah Marley, Wendy Brown, Vera La Tiérra, Rodger Umaechi, Sarah Lancaster, Ryan Malone, Kasa Yalenchka, Christopher Zwischenberger, Aisha Melbourne (adopted), Chrys Bourgeois (reporter)

Other characters: Not enough space to list em all :P

MigeYeFoxe
Forum Rookie

Postby MigeYeFoxe » November 24th, 2014, 12:34 pm

In a story unwritten due to motivation constraints I had Fit talk of a player from the 70's he used as a model, heralding him as the best ball handler the FBA had ever seen.

Anton "Arms" Drinel
Position: Point Guard
Height: 5'10" Weight: 170 lbs
Species: Orangutan
Birthplace: New York

The main thing about the character was that he had abnormally long arms for players in the FBA. Which meant when dribbling his arms were really close to the ground, making it near impossible to steal from and very easy for him to steal from others. But he was too slow and his movements too easily read that he only served out his draft term and was never picked up again. Never had the ball stolen from him his entire career and had a decent number of steals until teams worked to counter him, in which case he was useless and sat out most his second season. Fit had used him as an example of "He was the best at what he did. No one prior or since could do better. But because he was only good at that one thing the FBA left him behind."
Always remember no matter how bad the situation may get, a Pessimist will always believe that any change could only be for the better. An Optimist would disagree.
Characters: Kresta Renstill

Kinto
Forum Rookie

Postby Kinto » November 24th, 2014, 4:42 pm

Name: Howe Batton
Position: C
Species: Stick Insect
Height: absurdly tall... I dunno, 8'? More?
Weight: absurdly thin
Birthplace: I never specified, probably somewhere backwoods in the American Southeast

I created Howe Batton as Beulah Rollinghouse's mentor and head coach at Roache College, a position he still holds. In his original bio, I wrote:
Howe Batton played a single season in the FBA in the late ‘70s. In the predator-dominated game of the day, the signing of the absurdly-tall-but-rail-thin insect was regarded as a cheap gimmick, and team management made no effort to hide that fact; he was frequently subjected to ridicule, and not just from opposing teams. Batton was injured toward the end of the season and never returned.

Since I wrote that, it has been established that Todd Sinece was the first insect to play in the FBA when he was drafted in 1981 (see http://furrybasketball.com/wiki/index.p ... -Star_Week ), so obviously Batton cannot have played in the '70s. I can think of two ways to reconcile this: (1) Batton was the first to play in the FBA but Sinece was the first to be drafted and the first to play a full season (Batton was picked up mid-season, not drafted), or (2) Retcon Batton to the early '80s - I'd suggest 1982-1983 season, the first full season after Sinece's first season, making Batton the second insect in the FBA (poor Beulah, always getting stuck with number two). I think I prefer the second option.

I don't know what team he played on. I didn't want to specify because really, Batton's treatment in the FBA was pretty cruel. Would the Royals do something like that?

Also, I've considered making my Keystones GM character, Mark S. Quintaux (male draft horse (1/2 Friesian, 3/8 Percheron, 1/8 ???)), a former player. I need to flesh that out some more.

itsamadworld919
Forum Rookie

Postby itsamadworld919 » November 25th, 2014, 12:25 am

I'm just going to create three random players that can be used as filler, but it would be cool to see at least one of them be of importance :)

1. Jenny St. John (F, Striped Weasel)
Height: 6'5'', Weight: 188 lbs
Birthplace: Bay City, Michigan
1984-1995 (ELP/HNT)

Was drafted in 1984 by the El Paso Whips - it was their first year as a team in the league. (Any round/pick is fine). Played for two years there but was disgruntled with not getting a bigger contract, so she signed with Hunstville starting in 1986 when offered a starting position. St. John's claim to fame is she became one of the players "bumped" out of her role due to Healey Davis' skyrocketing success. After the first championship (1995), in which she had spent the majority of the season on the bench, she retired from the league.

2. Julio Ferrera (G, Ocelot)
Height: 6'9'', Weight: 232 lbs
Birthplace: Brownsville, Texas
1981-1983, 1985-1989

Julio was a talented young feline from University of Brownsville who was picked up by the St. Paul Mayors outside of the draft as a test-run player. He excelled in playing the SG role well enough that he started in that role in 1983 for the team, coming off the bench to lead the team in points for 1983. Unfortunately, the team was moving to Huntsville, and Ferrera had no desire to move with them. On a couple occasions, he made his distaste with the Mayors public (can anyone say, Graffiti Man?), landing him in the tabloids and getting bad press. He would take a year off in an attempt to sign with the team of *his choice* (another tabloid story); El Paso finally sufficed in 1985, where he played admirably for the rest of his career. He was let go by the team following the 1989 season, and failed to land a contract with anyone else. He officially declared retirement in 1991.

3. Francois Martinee (C, Nighthawk)
Height: 7'0'', Weight: 235 lbs
Birthplace: Nancy, France
1993-2007

Francois played the majority of his career with the Tucson Demons (1993-2003). Very few Avians had played in the league up to that point; let alone a European one. Very bull-headed, but a stark contrast to some of the more controversial players entering the league, he admirably led at the Center position for those years (only one hiccup in 2001, sidelined half a season due to injury). He led the league in blocks in 2001. He was traded to Spokane in the middle of the 2003 season, and was bought out of his contract in 2004. He then jumped to Santa Ana (2005) and Springfield (2006-07). Martinee is now remembered most for calling it quits later that year (rather than his career) when the Fusion used the excuse that "he could no longer play", but there was speculation that Springfield cut him because of his ESL-French background, where it was overheard that "they couldn't understand the damn bird." Since then, the league has paid much more attention towards showing a friendly face to players of all backgrounds.

Khed
Forum Prospect

Postby Khed » November 26th, 2014, 9:45 am

Somewhere in an interview Seba conducted with someone, I made up a maned wolf player who was going to be the first FBA player from Argentina (it's amazing how even minor players get huge press in their home countries; I've seen it in various places). Given that Seba saw him as an inspiration, I'm guessing that he was probably drafted in the late 80s and played into the late 90s.

Martin Aguarado
Maned Wolf (Center -- have you seen their lanky limbs?)
7'2", 220 lbs.
Birthplace: La Plata, Argentina

Drafted 1989 by El Paso Whips; traded in 1992 to the Huntsville Mayors, for which he played until retirement after the 2000 championship. He was almost always on the bench or in the reserves, but being on such a winning team got him a huge number of fans at home.

BetsieT
Forum Rookie

Postby BetsieT » December 13th, 2014, 11:51 am

JTigerclaw wrote:
Just to clarify, Trudu played with Tuscon from 1969-1975, signed with St. Paul in the 1975 offseason right after winning back-to-back championships in 74, 75, came back in 79 and won with Tuscon in 80 and 86, then retired after the last championship, totaling four (not five) championships. Does that sound right?

Was he a star caliber player? Was he the leader of any of those championship teams, or a very strong role player? Would he have had a stretch of All-Star appearances at some point?

Yes, sounds right. I thought I'd set him up for five championships, but I may've missed something somewhere. I dunno. And I know the switch to St Paul sounds crazy, but he wanted to try a change of scenery.

He was very much one of those players that was considered an underdog when he entered the league. The Demons gave him a chance, and he didn't disappoint them in the long run. Likely missed out on All-Star in his rookie season, as well as failed to receive Rookie of the Year due to the attack. I like to portray him as a leader later in his career, captain even, but as you created the Demons I'm open to that being shuffled a bit. But definitely a role model. As for All-Star appearances, I would say he made a few appearances for both the All-Star games and Dunk/Three-Point competitions (though he would've excelled most in the dunk contests).
Player of: Barnaby Jazz - Wilmer Grehr - Ahti Nereus - Treshaun Carnell

Nasuella
Forum Rookie

Postby Nasuella » December 13th, 2014, 8:02 pm

I'll freely admit that this one was made purely for giggles. :P Brownie points if you can spot the paleontological joke here.

Anthony Knight (Edmontonia, F/C)
Height: 6'11'', Weight: (can't think of anything except REALLY HEAVY)
Birthplace: Edmonton, Alberta (Canada)

Entered the league not long after Fulton Trudu, a bold move considering how prey players were still the minority at the time. However, a huge and heavily-armoured herbivore does not make easy prey in practice. Knight was pretty much a perfect example of his species; slow, but VERY tough, and as such he was best at defense. Sadly, a combination of factors including prejudice against prey species, his lack of speed, and multiple leg injuries meant that his FBA career ended after only a few seasons. However, he was seen as a sign of a positive change to come.

Too bad that change took several decades to happen.

Cat In C
Forum Rookie

Postby Cat In C » December 30th, 2014, 11:32 am

Here's some ex-Taproots that have been in my headcanon for quite some time.

The majority are relatively blank slates, so I am open to help from anyone who thinks these guys/this one gal could be made to fit the Taproots canon!

Herewith:

1. Nick Bender- black lab
I saw him as the Taproots equivalent of Bill Russell
Someone huge from the 'old skool' circa late 60s-early 70s.
In the 70s and then the 90s, the FBA was very predator-heavy.
The lab represented the last of the old guard before that cultural change happened.

2. Jud Erhbar- bobcat
Not exactly sure which era.
Whenever they were doing really well in the 80s-early 90s.
My idea with him was he was PG and team captain.
Under him, the front line were known as the Ehr Force. :P

3. Geri Emmons- tiger cat
The second female to play w them after Vicki T
Nicknamed Jerome because she was fairly butch.
A Boston-based chapter of FBA Cares is in her name.
Saw her as having a similar personality to tennis player Althea Gibson.

4. Murphy Walsh- cocker spaniel
Pretty sketchy with him, but I saw him as one of just 2 domestic dogs the 'Roots had during their pred-heavy 90s-early 2000s.

Footnote: in the early 2000s the Roots' reputation was sort of Howlers Lite, and counted Leo Tang on their roster at one point then.

5. Ralph Dziekonski- this dog is the current athletic director for the Roots.
He was the other dog with them during their Pred years.

ON A RELATED NOTE:

I believe the erstwhile former owner of the Typhoons - Carter Clausen- is an ex-Taproot as well. Possibly Tasheen Stilton as well.
Anyone wanna do the research on this? :P
If I'm correct, we should take them into account as well.

MrInitialMan
Forum Rookie

Postby MrInitialMan » March 1st, 2015, 5:24 am

Bryn Mastiffson. Dog, F.

One of the VERY few "rookie captains" of the FBA, played for the Rocky Mountain Royals from 1974-1980. Originally intended to go into the FBA, but somehow he mislaid his application but thought he'd mailed it. Instead of complaining about the lack of response, he joined the semi-professional Rocky Mountain House Royals, where he would often entertain the crowd by showboating in a comedic fashion (his favorite team were the Harlem Globetrotters). He became team captain in 1976. In 1979, the Royals were added to the FBA as an expansion team (at the same time the Hamilton Mariners were), which is how he became a captain in his rookie year. The Royals did poorly in the highly-competitive environment and quickly sunk to the bottom of the league. Bryn decided that, if the team was hopelessly behind, he'd begin his playful showboating, reasoning if he couldn't give the crowd a winning game, he'd give them a show. It worked, after a fashion (though lord knows it annoyed his contemporaries).

In 1980, his showboating backfired, when his fancy shot was blocked, and he came down wrong, blowing out his knee.

His friend Darnell Loewen visited him in the hospital, and Bryn confided he dreaded the training that he'd have to go through to get back into shape. Darnell responded that such a statement proved Bryn wasn't a baller at heart--he was an entertainer. He encouraged Bryn to think about his future in basketball. Bryn let his FBA contract lapse, refused all other offers, and threw himself into other work, such as writing comedic columns for Furballer, publishing a series of books called The Basketball Hall Of Shame,* and returning to his first love, music. When asked in an interview if he regretted giving up playing, Bryn responded "Nope. Didn't then and don't now."

Bryn finally did turn in his application--more than four DECADES late, specifically to needle FBA Commissioner Stefan Calico.

* IRL, I have a book called the Baseball Hall Of Shame 3 Young Fans' Edition

Return to “FBA Canon”