Other basketball leagues

Not everything about the FBA Universe has been documented yet on WikiFBA. And even if it is, this is the place to hold discussions about the world that these furries exist in.
Nasuella
Forum Rookie

Other basketball leagues

Postby Nasuella » June 30th, 2014, 2:16 am

I've had an idea of putting together a list of other basketball leagues that exist in the FBA universe for a while - for consistency's sake, if nothing else. (Coming up with some of my own stuff for the Finnish league was what gave me the idea.) There are a lot of players who've already played abroad prior to going into the FBA draft, and maybe some would want to go back to their old leagues after a while? Who knows? Either way, this is nowhere near complete, but I'm putting this out there to get a bit of discussion going.

(Note: The "former players" thing is just listing players who've been confirmed to have played in this league in the past.)

EuroBasket-Furr - European league. Teams include Falco-VI (Hungary).
(Former staff members: Dimi Kabat)

European Furry Basketball League (EFBL) - Europe's largest league. Has its own page on the Wiki.
(Former players: Daius Aurelias, Esmee Farai, Rytis Konstanblačkas, Ambrose Slade, Alessandro Serra, Blake Toivonen)

Furikorisliiga - Finland. Teams include the Manse Kommeetat.
(Former players: Otto Okkonen)

Furry Basketball League (FBL) - Australia.
(Former players: Kang-Dae Nabi)

Great Lakes Basketball League - Initially established in 1927, but folded in 1931 due to the Great Depression; reestablished in 1948 and lasted until it folded for good in 1978. Teams included the Hamilton Mariners, which was later absorbed into the FBA and later renamed the Albany Alphas in 1995.
(Former players: Brock Thiessen)

Russian Basketball Federation - Russia (well, obviously). Teams include the Vladivostok Predators.
(Former players: Vladimir Andreiovich Zhidkov)

Small Furs Basketball Association - Existed 2000-2003. A professional league restricted to players 5'4" and under. Ultimately folded due to the premise alienating too many potential followers (people were either expecting it to be comedic and disappointed, or were put off by the comedic-sounding premise).
(Former players: Michael Morgan)

(Mentioned: a league for arthropods created in wake of the five-limb rule; a college-level Euro league.)
Last edited by Nasuella on September 20th, 2014, 8:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.

JWolfman
Forum Veteran

Re: Other basketball leagues

Postby JWolfman » June 30th, 2014, 6:28 am

The Thrust's tiger rookie, Vladimir Andreiovich Zhidkov (thank goodness for my browser's tab showing that name so that I don't have to switch browser pages back and forth to check the spelling....), has a profile that listed him as being from the Russian Basketball Federation. Only his team is listed from there: Vladivostok Predators.
Narkissa Kassius (TAL) - Akako Tsubasa (LOR) - Adam Tevela (QNS) - Yesina Selas (SAS) - Brad Pullman (TXS) - Shanice Alveres (FA) - Xavier Saffiren (WPG) - Greg Saffiren (WPG)

MrInitialMan
Forum Rookie

Postby MrInitialMan » June 30th, 2014, 11:26 am

Great Lakes Basketball League, existed 1948-1978. Former teams: The Hamilton Mariners (which would become the Albany Alphas in 1995)

Small Furs Basketball Association, existed 2000-2003. Someone came up with the idea of a Basketball league that was restricted to furs 5'4" and shorter, playing on a pro regulation court. Sounds comedic, but it wasn't, which lead to its downfall. Furs who wanted to see hilarious games ended up seeing completely serious athletes competing just like their taller counterparts. Those who wanted to see completely serious games were turned off by the comedic premise. Former players: Michael Morgan, who's struggling to keep himself in shape. He wants another season, if only so he can foul Tay McKie one more time...

lizzimba
Forum Rookie

Postby lizzimba » August 21st, 2014, 9:54 am

Starting off with an assistant coaches role in Hungary at Kecskemeti Cardinales, he very quickly moved on to coach in both Seville and Madrid before returning to coach the Hungarian champions Falco-VI in the EuroBasket-Furr

That's the info on Hungarian grey squirrel SJ T head coach Dimi Kabat.

MrInitialMan
Forum Rookie

Postby MrInitialMan » August 21st, 2014, 10:37 am

A former player in the GLBL was Brock Thiessen, the first head coach of the Rocky Mountain Royals.

BetsieT
Forum Rookie

Postby BetsieT » August 27th, 2014, 6:30 pm

Winnipeg's new head coach, Esmee Farai, played for 16 years in the EFBL. She spent time on three different teams:

Amsterdam Royals (Netherlands)
Crvenas Zagreb (Croatia)
Frankfurt Metros (Germany)
Player of: Barnaby Jazz - Wilmer Grehr - Ahti Nereus - Treshaun Carnell

MrInitialMan
Forum Rookie

Postby MrInitialMan » September 1st, 2014, 3:34 am

Doublechecked a backstory I wrote for Brock Thiessen. The backstory mentioned that the GLBL existed from the late 20s to the early 30s, then from 1948-1978. So I've updated the HAM page to say that they were in the GLBL from 1927-1931 (folded due to Great Depression), then part of the revived GLBL from 1948-1978 (when it folded for good).

Pac
Taco Shack Owner

Postby Pac » September 1st, 2014, 11:58 am

i had alluded a new arthropod league forming on the heels of the five limb rule in shanice alvares's bio, but have no other information or development on that.

Wendingo
Forum Rookie

Postby Wendingo » September 1st, 2014, 7:00 pm

There is a college level Euro League as well. not sure if it is by region or by country. But BTT, Jake Turner and a few others have made reference to it.
Player for Dylan Redfield, Jake Turner, GM of the Albany Alphas.

Kinto
Forum Rookie

Postby Kinto » September 3rd, 2014, 1:20 pm

In his bio I mentioned Simon Thal spent two years in a non-specific "the European league" before submitting for the FBA draft. That could be canonically revised to the EFBL.

Return to “FBA Canon”