Cleaning House and All That Jazz

A place to sit back, discuss possible trades, strategies, and make shady backroom deals.
Forum rules
Make sure to read the Rules of 'Roleplay'
Darkwolf
Forum Prospect

Cleaning House and All That Jazz

Postby Darkwolf » July 1st, 2014, 11:15 am

An intern for the Dakota Bikers raced up a flight of stairs, coming up fast on the office of the Assistant General Manager. As he opened the door, there was an eerie silence. The inter cautiously approached the desk and placed a folder down upon reach it. "The player profiles you requested sir." The intern was a bit nervous as he stared at the back of a black leather chair.

"Thank you." That was all the intern received as he nodded tentatively and headed back to the door.

The assistant GM waited for a moment and then called out in his smooth, British accent. "Did Mr. Jazz inform anyone he would be "helping out" with the draft camp Hawaii and Alaska are hosting?"

The intern slowly turned around. "Um...ah...no...no, not that I'm aware...um sir..."

A low growl came from the other side of the chair.

"So let me make sure I am understanding you correctly. Mr. Jazz, who is under contract with the Dakota Bikers mind you, is assisting our rival organizations in their draft camp?"

The intern had no idea what to say as he tried to fumble out some words. "uh...I guess so..."

"And the only reason I know about it is because I happened to see Mr. Jazz...tweet about it." His disdain for all that is Twitter oozes from the mere mention of such things.

"Yes...sir.." The intern replied.

"Interesting." The singular word filled with a menacing tone and many underlining agendas.

"Well then perhaps I will give Mr. Grehr and Mr. Dragomirov a call and see if they have any interest in retaining Mr. Jazz's services on a more permanent basis."

The inter swallowed hard. "Um..you mean...like...letting him stay there for a bit longer?"

The figure on the other side of the chair sighed. "I mean trading him you fool." A growl quickly followed him.

The intern jumped. "Trade...but...but you drafted him..."

Without hesitation the chair spun around as to large hands slammed on the desk, revealing a large, black lion in a suit as the mysterious figure. He stood up and towered over the cowering intern.

A sick smile came across his face. "I'm sorry. You must be new." He snarled. "I didn't draft Barnaby Jazz." He looked over at his shoulder, a picture of the large fish hanging on his wall.

"That was the ignorant draft plan of Vicki Turner, who you might have noticed is no longer with our organization."

The large lion stepped out from behind his desk and further intimidated the poor intern with his size. His rather calm and unnervingly happy demeanor were in direct contrast to is rather visceral words.

"He's done nothing but make the Dakota Bikers look like fools while letting Daniel Quvilanuq not only beat him out for the starting job at center. Not only do so coming back from a serious injury. But Mr. Jazz did all that while also acting like a benighted child on social media." He snarls.

"He might look like a shark, but that fish was about as useful as a tadpole this year." He glares at the intern. "Do you know his stats by any chance lad? Because I do. They are burned into my cerebral cortex." His stance shifts as he grabs a file off his desk and hands it to the inter.

"0.8 rebounds, 5.1 points and a half a block in nearly 16 minutes of action over the course of 57 games. 12 of which Mr. Jazz started." He growled. "Do you know what that means?"

The intern shook his head no. "It means that at nearly 2.3 meters tall (7 feet, 6 inches) and 148 kilograms (327 lbs.) Mr. Jazz grabbed as many rebound as Jeri Naranjo who is not even 1.9 meters tall (6 feet, two inches) and 80 kilograms (176 lbs)." His eyes seemed to burn with a hidden anger, his calm pressence only adding to the uneasy atmosphere. "She also got less time on the court and played in 72 games of which she only started only 2 of them." The lion's eyes seemed to glare a hole the tiny intern, making him feel extremely uncomfortable. "That's pathetic." He leaned down, his face inches from the interns. He held the pose for a minute before his smile returned and he backed off.

"You see my funny looking friend, Ms. Turner was obsessed with Barnaby Jazz. I told her many times to consider other players. Ones with less character red flags and better motors. Players like Terrence Tolliver who was taken just three spots later and was a Rookie of the Year candidate. Raoul Kidane, who I might add was the Rookie of the Year, even though Mr. Quvianuq clearly was more deserving after coming back from the horrific injury." He adjusted his tie as he continued. "René Lacoste who lasted until the 38th pick in the draft despite my constant attempts to get her to trade back into the second round to steal him. And finally Alessandro Serra whom I personally scouted in Italy and was quite familiar with. I made my name as an international scout here and she ignored my every suggestion. Now we have Mr. Jazz, who can't keep his mouth shut, and Ms. Naranjo who, no disrespect intended, was drafted too high. Especially when we could have had Lacoste, Serra or Kidane."

The intern slowly began to back away, nodding in agreement. "Yes...yes sir...silly moves sir..." He grinned nervously.

"Quite silly indeed my boy." The lion followed him. "Never send a dog to do a feline's job." He snarls. "Because now, I am stuck doing everything leading in to this draft. I have no coach. No GM. Nothing. Not even a training staff. Our top pick last year is off assisting other teams instead of actually attempting to erase the "bust" tag attached to his name. And to top it all off, I get to prepare for a draft where I will have to likely once again acquiesce to the uneducated guesses of a former player masquerading as a executive." The sick smile returns to his face.

"I simply cannot wait to see who it is. Perhaps the Healer himself. Or maybe they'll force me to deal with Jake Masters. I've already dealt with one cry baby, what harm is there in a second?" The large lion backs the intern against the door to his office, leaning down and grinning wide. "Oh, I know. Really shake things up and give me Rick Walton. No one even remembers that name."

The nervous intern fumbles around for the doorknob only to feel the door start to open. The big cat watches his intern stumble out the door, tripping over his feet as he sits on the floor just outside his office.

"Thank you for the files. Have a wonderful day." His smile returns, sending a chill down the interns back as the door closes. Not a moment later, the young man races back to his station, praying he never has to interact with the intimidating figure ever again.

JTigerclaw
Forum Veteran

Re: Cleaning House and All That Jazz

Postby JTigerclaw » July 1st, 2014, 8:40 pm

Wow, you are an engaging story writer! :D

And that Title... I see what you did there.
Player of:

Mikaylah Marley, Wendy Brown, Vera La Tiérra, Rodger Umaechi, Sarah Lancaster, Ryan Malone, Kasa Yalenchka, Christopher Zwischenberger, Aisha Melbourne (adopted), Chrys Bourgeois (reporter)

Other characters: Not enough space to list em all :P

Paul Shep
Forum Rookie

Postby Paul Shep » July 3rd, 2014, 8:34 pm

Good story, BUT:

Did you ask Betsie for consent about including Barnaby in the story? Because that is a big deal.

Darkwolf
Forum Prospect

Postby Darkwolf » July 4th, 2014, 8:25 am

Glad you guys like the story. And yes JT, I did in fact do that. Haha.

I didn't speak with Betsie prior to posting this, but we are on the same page about how to proceed. Just needed to clarify a few things.

Return to “The General Manager's Office”